Where your employer suffers the loss through your fault, for example breakages or till shortages or your employer supplies a service as part of the job, for example, a uniform, deductions may be allowed. In these cases a deduction (or payment by the employee) is only allowed where:

It is allowed for in your contract
It is fair and reasonable
You have received a written notice of the deduction - a full week's notice if the deduction arises from your mistake
The amount of the deduction does not exceed the cost of the service
The deduction takes place within 6 months of the loss / cost occurring
Failure to pay all or part of the wages due to an employee is considered an unlawful deduction and a complaint can be made under the Payment of Wages Act - see 'How to apply' below. Likewise, unpaid notice, holiday pay, bonus and commission payments can also be part of a claim under the Act.

How to apply
Complaints about unauthorized deductions from wages under the Payment of Wages Act 1991 should be made to the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC). You must use the online complaint form available on A complaint must be brought within 6 months of the date of the deduction. The time limit may be extended for up to 6 months, but only where there is a reasonable cause for which the complaint was made within the normal time limit.

An employer who fails to provide a payslip or provides one that is deliberately falsified is guilty of an offense under the Payment of Wages Act 1991 and may be issued with a fixed payment notice. Complaints about payslips should be made as above. Further information is available in this explanatory booklet on the Payment of Wages Act 1991 (pdf) or from WRC Information and Customer Service - see 'Where to apply' below. payslipview